Guardian Angel

 I’ve said before that everyone is essentially an "Emperor with no clothes" by default because we can't see ourselves clearly—but is there anyone who can save us from that hopeless situation?


Having someone point out your flaws is a truly valuable asset. Of course, it makes you incredibly angry in the moment—after all, someone is calling out your shortcomings.


Even friends won't point out your faults to your face unless they’re extremely close to you; there’s a saying about the importance of courtesy even among close friends, after all. So, do I have anyone like that in my life—someone who infuriates me but is ultimately a godsend?


Hmm, let me look around...


There she is! My wife.


She really gets under my skin. She blurts out whatever she’s thinking, and it shows all over her face immediately.


She’ll say things like "You stink!" or "You're gross!" or even tell me to "Go away" when we're in the bedroom.


Her motto is:


"Be harsh on others, go easy on yourself."


She points out my flaws without sugarcoating a thing. But thanks to that, I was able to pull myself back from the brink of becoming a total online-gaming addict. In the end, she’s been a lifesaver. She saved me from ruin, so to me, she is my


"Guardian Angel."


Well, as you’ve likely guessed, this is another case of "gushing about my partner disguised as a complaint." Just recently, for instance—when I suggested taking a ferry in second-class seating, she insisted, "I refuse unless it's a luxury cruise liner!" Taking an overnight bus is out of the question (which is why I often make those overnight round trips on my own). When staying at a hotel, she declared, "It has to have club lounge access or nothing!" Amidst this historic weak yen, she demanded things like staying at Marina Bay Sands in Singapore or visiting Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna (does she think she's Marie Antoinette returning home?), seeing a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas, or catching a Broadway musical in New York (or London—either works). She constantly hounds me with all sorts of demands that are way out of our league.


If I were to say, "That’s way beyond our means—rejected!"


...she’d instantly get grumpy and lash out at me. So, I try to handle it tactfully; eventually, she offers compromises like, "I'll chip in for part of it," and we actually end up making some of those things happen. I suppose it’s fine once in a while. A little luxury now and then. Even if she is the enemy.


Anyway, I wonder if I’ll be able to keep this sharp-tongued, selfish "Guardian Angel" by my side.


Guided by love and mercy


←

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Theorems of Religion

Bodhisattva Never Disparaging

Are all good people poor?